Youth Enhanced Support Service (YESS)
The Youth Enhanced Support Service (YESS-SWS) provides youth friendly, strengths focused support to young people 12-25 years old with, or at risk of developing, a serious mental illness.
YESS-SWS is a free mental health service for 12-25 year olds living, working or studying is South Western Sydney who have, or are at risk of developing, a serious mental illness. It is an early intervention program providing wrap-around supports, including:
- Safety planning and managing risks
- Psychological therapy
- Peer support
- Service navigation
- Family and carer support services
- Wellbeing services
- Engagement with the young person’s GP
YESS-SWS is delivered by Parramatta Mission. The program has been made possible through funding from South Western Sydney PHN.
A serious mental illness can be complex and enduring, significantly impacting the young person’s day-to-day work, education, social and/or personal life. A serious mental illness can include, but is not limited to:
- First episode psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- Substance-related and addictive disorders
- Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders
- Enduring Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Enduring depressive disorders
- Enduring anxiety disorders
YESS-SWS aims to ensure young people with, or at risk of developing a serious mental illness, have access to quality service and interventions to support them in their recovery and reduce long-term mental ill-health, through an early intervention approach.
The service engages with the ‘missing middle’; those who require more a intensive service than SWSPHN youth mental health primary care services are funded to provide, but who also do not meet the state funded tertiary mental health service criteria. Therefore, YESS-SWS will work closely with headspace centres in Liverpool, Bankstown and Campbelltown, ReFrame in Wollondilly and Wingecarribee and SWSLHD mental health services.
YESS-SWS is a free service for people who are:
- Aged 12-25 years old, and
- With or at risk of a serious mental illness, and
- Living, working or studying in the South Western Sydney region comprising of Liverpool, Bankstown, Fairfield, Campbelltown, Camden, Wollondilly and Wingecarribee Local Government Areas.
- Transitioning from tertiary mental health services (for example, ICAMHS) delivered by SWSLHD into primary mental health services, or
- Experiencing emerging symptoms of serious mental illness, including a first episode of psychosis, or
- Engaged with headspace or ReFrame but requiring more intensive support than these services can offer.
YESS-SWS can accept referrals from young people (self referral), their family or friend (with the young person’s agreement), GPs, school counsellors and service providers.
To access the program, download and complete the referral form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax to 02 8820 0737. You will be contacted within three days from when the referral is received to discuss the next steps.
For more information about YESS-SWS call 1800 YESS PM (1800 937 776) or email email@example.com