- The Department of Health has extended the Healthdirect Australia Video Call COVID-19 GP Program to 31 December 2021 and Video Call PHN Exemplar Program to 30 June 2022.
- RACGP CPD accredited training in healthdirect Video Call is now available for your practice (see below).
RACGP Accredited Training
In collaboration with the RACGP, healthdirect is offering CPD courses that support GPs and Practice Managers to use Video Call more confidently and effectively. The following free courses are run by healthdirect RACGP Education Activity Representatives:
Essential Video Call training 1 hour 2 CPD points for RACGP or 1 hour ACCRM credit
This module is for GPs new to Video Call and covers the basic functionality of the platform. The course will also suit Practice Managers who may be implementing telehealth into their practice workflows.
Advanced Video Call training 1 hour 2 CPD points for RACGP or 1 hour ACCRM credit
This module covers more advanced use of the platform. The course will also suit Practice Managers and anyone interested in how Video Call can reshape the provision of services to patients or clients.
Telehealth services use information and communications technologies (ICTs) to deliver health services and transmit health information over both long and short distances. It is about transmitting voice, data, images and information rather than moving care recipients, health professionals or educators. It encompasses diagnosis, treatment, preventive (educational) and curative aspects of healthcare services and typically involves care recipient(s), care providers or educators in the provision of these services directed to the care recipient.
Telehealth is being used in the South Western Sydney region by many healthcare services and for more information on telehealth see the following resources:
SWSPHN encourage health services providing telehealth services to align with RACGP and MBS guidelines; telehealth solutions should be secure, encrypted and align with each practice’s policies. Below is a non-exhaustive list of telehealth solutions available and their contact details. SWSPHN encourages all health services to comprehensively conduct their own research before choosing a telehealth solution.
SWSPHN recommends: Healthdirect Video Call
- Web-based (no software installation required for both clinicians and patients)
- Will work on smartphones, tablets, laptops and PCs (minimum requirements apply)
- Allows screen sharing
- Allows document sharing
- Quick and easy onboarding of practices
- Accounts managed by PHNs
- Purpose-built for health providers to offer to their patients for teleconsultations
- Developed by Healthdirect Australia - a national, government-owned, not-for-profit organisation.
For more information please contact the Digital Partnerships team on DigitalHealth@swsphn.com.au or call SWSPHN on (02) 4632 3000
For other solutions see: Technology resources for COVID-19 (updated regularly from PulseIT+)
- Department of Health - Telehealth
- Better Access - Telehealth Services for people in rural and remote areas
- NSW Health - Telehealth Strategy
- Consultant Psychiatry Service available in South Western Sydney
MBS Items for Telehealth
- Medicare - MBS and Telehealth (Rural)
Telehealth for Professionals
- RACGP - Telehealth in General Practices
- RACGP - Guide to providing telephone and video consultations in general practice
- RACGP - Telephone consultations with patients requiring an interpreter
- RANZCP - Telehealth in Psychiatry
- ACRRM - Telehealth Provider Directory