Need medical care? After Hours GP services are easily accessible and free
17th December 2018
If you or a family member is sick when your regular GP’s practice is closed, do you know your options?
After Hours medical care is available throughout South Western Sydney for non-life-threatening injuries or illnesses such as coughs, colds and fevers, minor cuts or burns, sporting injuries, migraines, stomach bugs and various infections.
The health care service gives local residents greater access to GP care closer to home on weekday evenings, weekends and public holidays, ensuring patients are not attending local hospital emergency departments unnecessarily.
South Western Sydney Primary Health Network (SWSPHN) has commissioned After Hours health care services including:
• Campbelltown: After Hours GP care at Ground Floor, 3-17 Queen Street, Campbelltown, from 6pm to 10pm on weeknights; 2pm to 10pm on weekends; and 4pm to 10pm on public holidays. Call 0405 166 231.
• Liverpool: After Hours GP care at Shop 12, 32-40 Moorebank Village, Stockton Avenue, Moorebank, from 6.30pm to 10pm on weeknights; 1pm to 10pm on Saturdays; and 10am to 10pm on Sundays and public holidays. Call 9600 9088.
• Fairfield: After Hours GP care at Barone Pharmacy, Ware Street, Fairfield, from 6pm to 8pm on weeknights; 2pm to 6pm on weekends; and closed on public holidays. Call 0405167460.
• The After Hours bus is located on the Fairfield Hospital grounds, Polding Street, Fairfield, from 8.15pm to 10pm on weeknights; 6.15pm to 11pm on weekends; and 4pm to 10pm on public holidays.
• Bankstown: After Hours GP care at Brigadoon Medical Centre, corner Macarthur Avenue and Brett Street, Revesby, from 6pm to 11pm on weeknights; 2pm to 10pm on weekends; and 4pm to 10pm on public holidays. Call 0405 261 390.
• Southern Highlands: 21 St Jude Street, Bowral (opposite Bowral Hospital). Opening hours during the Christmas period: closed Christmas Day; Boxing Day from 10am to noon and 3pm to 5pm;
29 December from 3pm to 5pm; 30 December from 10am to noon and 3pm to 5pm; and New Year’s Day from 10am to noon and 3pm to 5pm. Call 4861 6433 for all other after hours times.
Additional After Hours health care services can be located through the Healthdirect app.
SWSPHN Chief Executive Officer Keith McDonald said the After Hours health care service was for those who needed ‘urgent’ care rather than ‘emergency’ care.
“It’s natural to be anxious and unsure where to turn when you or a loved one needs medical care after your regular GP’s practice has closed for the night or the weekend,” he said.
“Our message is: there are options available besides the emergency room at your local hospital.
“The After Hours service is convenient, accessible and fully bulk billed, and importantly provides you with continuity of care because a report from your appointment will be forwarded to your nominated GP.
“We’re urging the community not to visit emergency departments after hours with illnesses or injuries which are more appropriately treated by a GP.
“Emergency departments should be kept for emergencies – patients with serious illnesses or injury which could lead to complications, even death.”
After hours, if you are sick, injured or need non-emergency medical care you should:
• Contact your regular GP to check if they are open or have after hours arrangements in place.
• Download the Healthdirect app and use the ‘Find a health service’ section to check local practices are open near you. For after hours select ‘general practice’ then ‘refine’ and scroll to select ‘open now’ and ‘bulk billing’ or visit swsphn.com.au.
• Call the GP Helpline on 1800 022 222 for medical advice and support.
• Or use one of the available Home GP Services through: Sydney Medical Service 1300 466 347, DoctorDoctor 13 26 60 or National Home Doctor Service 13 74 25. Areas covered vary. Fees may apply. Check when calling.
If your condition is life threatening, visit your local emergency department or call 000.
Website: SWSPHN - After Hours