SWSPHN Webinar - Aboriginal & Torres Islander Cultural Awareness Training
All practices registered for the Closing the Gap Indigenous Health Incentive (IHI) PIP are required to participate in cultural awareness training within one year of their registration or re-registration.
Provide an overview of key issues relevant to the development of a culturally safe health service environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people by defining cultural awareness education and cultural safety and the distinction between the two.
• Demonstrate communication skills, consider doctor/patient interaction, organisation and socio-political issues.
• Undertake assessment of potential barriers to care including patient, clinician, healthcare systems, societal and environmental.
• Identify health issues more common in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people by understanding Aboriginal history, value, belief systems, experiences and lifestyle.
• Contextualise the education activity in current National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health initiatives, including Closing the Gap and PIP IHI.
• Identify good practices for cultural inclusion and safety.
Training Consultant, McKenzie Dreaming
GPs/Practice Nurses/Practice Managers/Receptionists
Approved for 6 CPD Activity points