Free Interpreting Service for private medical practitioners
TIS National delivers the Free Interpreting Service on behalf of the Australian Government (Department of Home Affairs). The Free Interpreting Service aims to provide equitable access to key services for people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, with limited or no English language proficiency.
Private medical practitioners and approved medical specialists can access the Free Interpreting Service to provide Medicare rebateable services to anyone in Australia who has a Medicare card. Nurses, reception, and other practice support staff can also access the service when working with the registered medical practitioner.
Register for a client code
To register for a client code, complete the online client registration form on the TIS National website. If you require assistance with registering, contact TIS National on 1300 575 847.
New service: Telehealth video interpreting
In response to the growing demand for Telehealth consultations, TIS National has launched a new service – Telehealth video interpreting.
Medical practitioners can book an interpreter to assist with their patient consultations using most third-party video conferencing platforms. These platforms may include healthdirect Video Call, Skype, WebEx, and Zoom.
You can find more information on Telehealth video interpreting on the TIS National website - Frequently Asked Questions.
Services available to private medical practitioners
Private medical practitioners can use the Free Interpreting Service to access the following services delivered by TIS National:
- immediate telephone interpreting Medical Practitioner Priority Line 1300 131 450 available 24 hours a day, every day of the year
- pre-booked telephone interpreting
- pre-booked on-site interpreting, and
- Telehealth video interpreting.
- Read about the Free Interpreting Service for private medical practitioners.
- Watch the videos about TIS National services and how to work with interpreters.
- Contact TIS National on: 1300 575 847 or firstname.lastname@example.org