Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Information for Health Professionals
Updated: 1 April 2020
Mask distribution in South Western Sydney
Please note the masks are being rationed to PHNs in limited supply and when they arrive we are distributing them immediately. Since 30 January we have received a number of small shipments and we are trying to get them to practices with the greatest need. We are generally only given a day or two’s notice of shipment and cannot advise when we will receive another batch.
It is also important to point out the PHN does not stock or distribute other personal protective equipment. While communication from the Australian Government Department of Health mentions PPE, it is only distributing masks.
We appreciate it is a frustrating time for GPs, nurses and practice staff and we are doing our best to support your very much appreciated efforts. If you need more masks, contact your Practice Support Officer (PSO) or call our office on 4632 3000.
Find information for health professionals about coronavirus (COVID-19) below:
- Pathology collection centres in SWS
- Bulk Billed MBS Telehealth Services
- COVID-19 Infection Control Online Training for clinicians is now live. The training takes approx. 30 minutes.
- Information helplines
- Media Releases
- COVID-19 Updates for General Practice
- Chief Medical Officer - Updates for Clinicans
- Resources for general practice (in multiple languages)
- Infection prevention & control guidelines
- UPDATE: Accreditation - Responding to circumstances arising from COVID-19 pandemic - 30 March
- Update from ACI - Aerosol generating respiratory therapies - Nebulisers - 23 March
- Safe testing through General Practice for COVID-19 – 13 March 2020
- COVID-19 and your Asthma Patients - information for clinicans and patients
- Distribution of PPE through PHNs: Tranche 2, Surgical masks & P2/N95 respirators – 18 March
- NSW Health - COIVD-19 information for health professionals (NSW Health not producing COVID-19 PDF alerts but updating this webpage regularly)
- Department of Health - COVID-19 health sector information
- Department of Health - COVID-19 National Health Plan Resources (Fact Sheets)
- Department of Health - COVID-19 National Health Plan Resources – A Guide for Prescribers
- Department of Health - Australian Health Sector - COVID19 Emergency Response Plan
- RACGP - COVID-19 information for GPs
- WHO - information & guidance from the World Health Orgnaisation
- HealthPathways - South Western Sydney: New COVID-19 pathways
COVID-19 pathology collection centres
Information for NSW dedicated testing centres and private pathology centres in South Western Sydney.
- Private pathology coronavirus collection centres in South Western Sydney
- NSW dedicated coronavirus testing collection centre locations
Residential Aged Care - information for staff & health providers
- Information in multiple languages - for residential aged care staff, residents and families
- Infection Control Online Training - How to protect yourself & the people you are caring for
- Dementia Help Sheets for COVID-19 - tips for carers, RACFs, people living with dementia and family
- Department of Health - Advice for the Health & Aged Care Sector
- Department of Health – COVID-19 Aged Care Preparedness - 12 March
- Department of Health – COVID-19 Pathology Testing in Aged Care - 12 March
- Dr Ken McCroary’s article in NewsGP - GPs must help aged care prepare for the coronavirus
Updates from the Chief Medical Officer
Latest news from the Australian Government Department of Health - statements from the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) on coronavirus (COVID-19), clinical updates and Chief Medical Officer's press releases.
- Subscribe to the GP Update on COVID-19 from the CMO
- Read the CMO coronavirus (COVID-19) newsletter for GPs:
Tuesday, 24 March
Friday, 27 March
Monday, 30 March
- Update for GPs - 13 March 2020
- Chief Medical Officer - Letter to GPs - 8 March 2020
- Chief Medical Officer - Letter to Specialists - 11 March 2020
- Chief Medical Officer - Letter to GPs - 13 March 2020
- Joint Media Release - The Hon Greg Hunt, Minister for Health & Professor Michael Kidd AM, Principle Medical Advisor
- Media Release from ASHM - Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis & Sexual Health Medicine
National taskforce to respond to the impact of COVID-19 on HIV and other blood-borne viruses – 27 March 2020
- Media Release from Brad Hazzard - NSW Minister for Health and Medical Research
Coronavirus Health Information Line
Call this Australian Government Department of Health phone line if you are seeking information on novel coronavirus. The line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Liverpool Public Health Unit (South Western Sydney LHD)
(02) 9794 0855
After Hours - Phone: (02) 8738 3000
(Liverpool Hospital) - ask for Public Health Officer on call
Community members can call this number to speak to a registered nurse about their health concerns. The hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.