Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Information for community members
Updated: 1 April 2020
You can find up-to-date information about coronavirus (COVID-19) on the healthdirect website and using the links below.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) facts & FAQs
- Information in multiple languages
- Symptom checker
- Coronavirus: Myth busters
- COVID-19 & the workplace - information for employers and employees
- Support for older people & carers
- Information for people using immune-supressing medications
- NDIS - information and support about coronavirus
- Looking after your mental health during the coronavirus outbreak
- Services Australia - information & services to help you if you’re affected by coronavirus, including Centrelink payments & support
- Coronavirus Australia app & WhatsApp
- Information helplines
Get the facts and find out more about COVID-19 with the healthdirect 'Frequently Asked Questions' (FAQs) such as:
- Symptoms of COVID-19
- Do I need to isolate msyelf?
- What is 'social distancing and non-essential travel'?
- Seeing a doctor and getting tested
- What is telehealth? Can I use teleheath to talk to a GP?
- What does home isolation mean?
- Should my child attend school or day care?
- How do I avoid becoming infected?
- Can I go to my regular health clinic or hospital appointment?
You can also use the healthdirect Symptom Checker tool to guide you to the appropriate healthcare action.
Not sure if something you heard is fact or false? Go to the World Health Organsiation's coronavirus (COVID-19) myth busters tool.
Important facts and frequently asked questions (FAQs) about COVID-19 are available in multiple languages.
This includes English, Chinese – Simplified and Traditional – Arabic, Bahasa, Farsi, Korean, Thai and Vietnamese.
- COVID-19 advice for people on immune-suppressing medications from the Australian Rheumatology Association
Coronavirus (COVID-19) information and support:
Dementia Australia have created some Dementia Help Sheets for COVID-19 for people living with dementia, their friends, families and carers to support them during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
- Information & tips - for people living with dementia
- Information & tips - for carers, families & friends of people living with dementia
- Information & tips - for home care provider
- download the “Coronavirus Australia” government app in the Apple App Store or Google Play
- join the WhatsApp channel on iOS or Android.
You can use the Australian Government Coronavirus app to:
- stay up to date with the official information and advice
- important health advice to help stop the spread and stay healthy
- get a quick snapshot of the current official status within Australia
- check your symptoms if you are concerned about yourself or someone else
- find relevant contact information
- access updated information from the Australian Government
- receive push notifications of urgent information and updates
Coronavirus Health Information Line
Call this Australian Government Department of Health phone line if you are seeking information on novel coronavirus.
The line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Call this number to speak to a registered nurse about your health concerns.
The hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.