The best time to treat breast cancer is when it is still very small. This is why breast screening is so important, yet only 46.3 per cent of eligible women in South Western Sydney are participating in regular screening. Having regular mammograms is the best way to find breast cancer early, when treatment is likely to be most successful.
While no referral is required for patients to use the BreastScreen service, GPs are encouraged to refer their patients. Evidence shows that a referral from a general practitioner can be highly influential in a patients decision to participate in screening.
Support for general practice
South Western Sydney PHN are working in partnership with Cancer Institute and Breast Screen NSW to increase Breast Screening participation rates in the local region.
SWSPHN can work with and support general practitioners by:
- Support to implement recall and reminder systems for due and overdue women via the Breast screening register
- Providing appropriate resources
- Assistance with training and the use of PENCAT to improve screening in practices
- Providing links to refer women to women’s specific Health Centres for free pap smears and breast checks and Breast Screen mobile and fixed sites in the SWS area.
BreastScreen NSW, is a free breast screening service for women aged 40 years and over. The program targets women aged 50 to 74 years to have a screening mammogram every two years; however women aged 40-49 and those above 75 years are also welcome to have a free mammogram if they would like.
BreastScreen NSW provides mammograms at various fixed and mobile locations all around Australia.
Mobile BreastScreen clinics for South Western Sydney in 2021
AIRDS 5 - 8 July (Aboriginal Specific)
Tharawal Aboriginal Medical Services, 21 Deans Rd
WATTLE GROVE 12 - 30 July
Village Way, beside Wattle Grove Community Centre
REVESBY 2 - 27 August
Abel Reserve, off Marco Ave, beside train line
CABRAMATTA 1 September - 13 December
McBurney Rd car park, opp Community Centre
Download the 2021 BreastScreen schedule for South Western Sydney flyer
Breastscreen NSW fixed locations in South Western Sydney:
- BANKSTOWN: Ground Floor, Civic Tower Building, Cnr Rickard Rd and Jacobs St, Bankstown
- LIVERPOOL (Screening): 157 - 161 George St, (Unit 5), Liverpool
- LIVERPOOL (Screening & Assessment): 102 Bigge St, Liverpool
- CAMPBELLTOWN: Mawson Centre, 4 Browne St, (Ground Flr, Units 3-5), Campbelltown
- BOWRAL: Bowral Street Specialist Centre, Suite 4, 70-72 Bowral Street, Bowral
Making a booking
To make an appointment women can call 13 20 50 or 13 14 50 for the free telephone interpreter service.
Online bookings available via the Breastscreen NSW website (as below)
Women are also welcome to visit the mobile van or fixed locations to book an appointment and there are also walk-in appointment slots available, however please note that these spots are limited. All staff members at the van are female.