Antenatal Shared Care Program
The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG) defines ANSC as:
“The sharing of care of the pregnant woman by a Shared Care Provider (in most cases a GP or midwife...) with a specialist obstetrician, GP obstetrician or hospital-based obstetric unit, each acting independently but in co-operation".
Shared maternity care represents an opportunity to practise collaborative holistic obstetric care by combining the varied skills of Midwife, General Practitioner and Obstetrician to the benefit of the community, and mutual understanding between colleagues.
- The goal of the Antenatal Shared Care (ANSC) Program is to provide a high and uniform standard of care to pregnant women throughout South Western Sydney
- Antenatal Shared Care (ANSC) is an option offered to all women who are assessed as suitable for the program. Care is provided collaboratively by the general practitioner (GP) and the hospital-based service.
The ANSC Program aims to:
- The ANSC Program is a collaborative program involving the SWSPHN and the SWSLHD.Provide pregnant women with flexibility, choice and continuity of care
- Cater for the preferences and needs of women from culturally and diverse backgrounds
- Enhance the skills of GPs caring for women during pregnancy
- Promote communication between GPs and the participating hospitals (Bankstown, Liverpool, Camden, Campbelltown, Fairfield and Bowral).
How do I register for the ANSC Program with the South Western Sydney Area?
The ANSC Program is a collaborative program involving the SWSPHN and the SWSLHD.
For any enquiries regarding the ANSC program please contact Michelle Roberts 4632 3000 or email: Michelle.Roberts@swsphn.com.au
Detailed information on Antenatal Care in South Western Sydney can be found on the local HealthPathways.
Antenatal (yellow) cards:
Call Toll Stream Solutions on 1300 786 075. Quote item number: NH 612 060. There is a minimum order of 250 cards, they are free but incur a postage and handling cost (around $16.50).
Safer Baby Bundle resources:
Call Toll Stream Solutions on 1300 786 075. Quote the relevant item numbers (see below). They are free but incur a postage and handling cost (around $16.50).
Resources are available to download from the Stillbirth Centre of Research Excellence website.
- Safer Baby Bundle brochure (NH700603)
- Side Sleeping patient brochure (NH700546) and practice poster (NH700547)
- Movements Matter patient brochure (NH700589) and practice poster (NH700588)
- Smoking cessation patient brochure (NH700590)
Quarterly newsletter (SWSPHN Baby Monitor)
- List of suburbs accepted by each hospital antenatal clinic (updated 15/7/20)
- COVID-19 GP ANSC GUIDELINES V3.0 (released 23/4/20)
- ANSC Guidelines 2020 (Oct 2020)
- ANSC Quick Guide (released June 2019)
- Clinical Guidelines for the management of substance use during pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period
- Diabetes Contraception & Pre-pregnancy (DCAPP) Program
- Having a baby - resource is for all women who are pregnant or planning a pregnancy
- Influenza Vaccination in Pregnancy - information brochure for pregnant women
- NSW MotherSafe Page - free comprehensive counselling service for women and their healthcare providers concerned about exposures during prengancy and breastfeeding
- > AusCDEP - free diabetes online learning modules (including pre-conception care)
- Pregnancy and Food Safety
- RANZCOG Indigenous Women’s Health Website
- SWSLHD GDM Policy