Antenatal Shared Care Program
The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG) defines ANSC as:
“The sharing of care of the pregnant woman by a Shared Care Provider (in most cases a GP or midwife...) with a specialist obstetrician, GP obstetrician or hospital-based obstetric unit, each acting independently but in co-operation".
Shared maternity care represents an opportunity to practise collaborative holistic obstetric care by combining the varied skills of Midwife, General Practitioner and Obstetrician to the benefit of the community, and mutual understanding between colleagues.
- The goal of the Antenatal Shared Care (ANSC) Program is to provide a high and uniform standard of care to pregnant women throughout South Western Sydney
- Antenatal Shared Care (ANSC) is an option offered to all women who are assessed as suitable for the program. Care is provided collaboratively by the general practitioner (GP) and the hospital-based service.
The ANSC Program aims to:
- Provide pregnant women with flexibility, choice and continuity of care
- Cater for the preferences and needs of women from culturally and diverse backgrounds
- Enhance the skills of GPs caring for women during pregnancy
- Promote communication between GPs and the participating hospitals (Bankstown, Liverpool, Camden, Campbelltown, Fairfield and Bowral).
How do I register for the ANSC Program with the South Western Sydney Area?
The ANSC Program is a collaborative program involving the SWSPHN and the SWSLHD. To register for ANSC please complete this Application form and return it (with relevent documents) to Delena Bailey (SWSPHN Administration Assistant) via email Delena.Bailey@swsphn.com.au or fax: (02) 4625 9466.
For any enquiries regarding the ANSC program please contact Michelle Roberts 4632 3000 or email: Michelle.Roberts@swsphn.com.au
Detailed information on Antenatal Care in South Western Sydney can be found on the local Health Pathways.
To order more Antenatal (yellow) cards: call Stream Solutions on 1300 786 075. Quote item number: NH 612 060. There is a minimum order of 250 cards, they are free but incur around $16.50 postage & handling.
Bowral Hospital Antenatal GP Shared Care Investigations
RANZCOG Indigenous Women’s Health Website
RANZCOG Assistance with smoking cessation resources
Pregnancy and Food Safety
Having a baby
Clinical Guidelines for the management of substance use during pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period
Online Learning Options
- AusCDEP - Free Diabetes online learning modules, including pre-conception care