After Hours Healthcare
Information for health professionals about After Hours Healthcare services in South Western Sydney
SWSPHN's After Hours commissioning activities are guided by the Commonwealth Government’s After Hours objectives, which are to:
- increase the efficiency and effectiveness of After Hours primary care for patients, particularly those with limited access to health services
- improve access to After Hours primary care through effective planning, coordination and support for population-based after hours primary care
- improve the availability of After Hours general practice services through working collaboratively with general practitioners
After Hours services should only be utilised for non-emergency medical care when a patient's regular GP is closed, such as late at night or on weekends.
After hours periods are:
- before 8am or after 6pm on weekdays
- before 8am or after 12pm (noon) on Saturdays, and
- all day on Sundays and public holidays
We recommend patients to:
- Contact their regular GP to check if their regular GP is open or has After Hours arrangements in place
- Take note of extended work hours their local GP may have during the holidays
- Contact one of the commissioned After Hours services or other available After Hours services in the region as per the patient's preference
SWSPHN works with key local stakeholders to plan, coordinate and support after hours health services. We commission the following After Hours services:
Southern Highlands GP After Hours Service
Face-to-face clinic and telephone answering service with home visits, covers the Southern Highlands.
Phone: 4861 6433
Sydney Medical Service & After Hours GP Home Visiting Service
Telephone answering service with home visits, bulk billing service covering Camden, Wollondilly, Campbelltown, Liverpool, Fairfield and Bankstown LGAs.
Phone: 1300 HOME GP (1300 466 347)
My Emergency Doctor
Phone and video call free to residents in South Western Sydney PHN catchment.
Phone: 1800 001 033
We also encourage patients to use Healthdirect:
- After Hours GP helpline 1800 022 222
- Symptom Checker
- Find a health service > (e.g. GP, pharmacy, dentist)
For general enquiries about After Hours services in South Western Sydney or if you need to find an After Hours GP clinic near you, use the information above or call the After Hours GP helpline on 1800 022 222.