Aboriginal Health

What is the Close the Gap program

The Closing the Gap program helps Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to live healthier and longer lives by trying to prevent or better manage chronic diseases.



  • Are you Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander?
  • Do you have a current Medicare card?
  • Do you  have a long term illness or risk factor (if you are unsure speak with your doctor)?

If yes, the Closing the Gap program can help with better access to health care, free support and advice, arranging medical appointments and community health services, and cheaper, or free medicines (CTG scripts).


What  is the CCSS program?

The Care Coordination and Supplementary Services  (CCSS) Program aims to improve the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people by providing coordination of health needs and assisting with access to healthcare.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with a long term illness/Chronic Health Conditions  may be able to take part in these programs.

The chronic conditions that the CCSS program and the Aboriginal Health Care Coordinator can assist with management are:

  • Cancer
  • Diabetes
  • Heart Disease
  • Chronic Kidney Disease
  • Chronic Respiratory Disease.


What is an Aboriginal Health Care Coordinator?

It is someone who can help you to manage your chronic illness.
Work with your GP (doctor)  to link you with medical services to improve your health and give you a greater  understanding of your condition.


What can your Aboriginal Health Care Coordinator do for you?

  • Assist you to understand your chronic health condition and how to manage it
  • Work with both yourself and your Doctor, to find the best treatment plan for you
  • Help you to find and access other medical services
  • Advocate for you
  • Direct you to Community programs that may help improve your health


Supplementary Services

Your Coordinator can assist  by arranging appointments with  Specialists, &/or Allied Health Professionals…such as dieticians, physiotherapists, and exercise physiologists .
Arrange transport to your health care  appointments
Ability to  provide specific medical aids  when Government help is not available.
 Dietary supplements on advice from a Health Care Provider.


What do I need to do?

To access this service please give your consent to your doctor and he or she will forward a referral to the SWSPHN Aboriginal Health  team which is available on the GP page of this website

The Aboriginal Health Care Coordinator will than contact you to arrange an appointment to see you.

Together with your doctor the Health Coordinator will support you and help you to improve your health and well being.